This initiative raises money that would go toward teacher salaries and all areas of school district budget. The Fiscal Impact Statement provides details on the distribution:
Education spending requirements. Beginning in FY 2019-20 and until a new public school finance law that meets certain criteria is enacted by the General Assembly, money in the fund must be used to:
- increase the statewide base per pupil funding for P-12 public education to $7,300;
increase state funding for the following programs by at least the following specified amounts over FY 2018-19 levels:
- " special education by $120 million;
- " gifted and talented programs by $10 million;
- " English language proficiency programs by $20 million; and
- " preschool funding by $10 million;
The above increases are to be adjusted for inflation each year beginning in FY 2020-21.
In addition, the measure expands the number of kindergarten and at-risk students that receive funding through the state's P-12 funding formula. Specifically, the measure requires that:
- at-risk funding include students qualifying for reduced price lunch; and
- full day kindergarten funding be increased from 0.58 percent to 1.0 per full time equivalent student.